It’s the middle of another hot, humid summer in Northwest Arkansas. And that’s not the greatest time for your air conditioning (A/C) to break down or not work optimally. If you are facing the dilemma between repairing your air conditioner or replacing it, here are a few helpful hints to help you decide:
- Consider the age of the unit. If your A/C is nearing or past the 10-year mark, repairing your air conditioner probably isn’t your best bet. Put your money towards a new high-efficiency model instead.
- Take a good look at your energy bills. Compare energy costs from prior years, or even prior months, to see if you notice a rise. A high-efficiency replacement unit may save you as much as 30 percent or more on your monthly cooling bill.
- Place a priority on comfort. Ask yourself if your A/C is really doing its job. Are all rooms equally cool? Do you find your home too humid? Whether the unit is improperly sized, or just past its prime, it may not be worth it to repair.
- Listen carefully. Not all noises are bad, but some, such as a squealing, squeaking or grinding sound, may indicate a costly repair. Before repairing your air conditioner, weigh the cost of a new model first.
- Review your repair bills. Take a look to see exactly what your existing A/C has cost you in repairs. If you are in the neighborhood of 50 percent of the cost of a new unit, consider replacing.
- Check for mold or mildew. If you notice any mold or mildew growth, your air conditioner isn’t doing its job to control humidity, and may even be leaking. Today’s high-efficiency units do a better job at controlling humidity, and may show a marked improvement in your indoor air quality.
If you’re faced with the decision of repairing your air conditioner or replacing it, give us a call at Paschal Heat, Air & Geothermal for expert advice. With more than 40 years of experience in the Northwest Arkansas area, our qualified technicians can help you make the right choice.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about repairing your air conditioner and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Paschal Heating, Air & Geothermal services Northwest Arkansas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!