If an an endless reservoir of energy existed right beneath your feet, would you tap into it? If you answered yes, you may be surprised to learn it really does exist. The ground absorbs and stores the sun’s energy all year, even during cold weather. Geothermal systems allow you to access this energy, and provide your home with the most efficient, renewable heating and cooling in existence.
With a geothermal heating system, pipes are installed about six feet below the ground’s surface. If you have enough space, they can be installed horizontally, but they work just as well when vertically installed for homes that have limited yard space.
Like an air-source heat pump, ground-source systems change energy in the environment into heat for your home. The system can switch over to pump heat from your living space back into the ground. Geothermal systems are more expensive than air-source systems, but as they can outperform air-source heat pumps by about 45 percent, they’re more than capable of returning your initial investment.
Here are just a few advantages northwest Arkansas homeowners can expect from geothermal heat:
- Energy efficiency: Some systems can provide as much as five times the amount of energy they consume. Not only does this save you money right away, but the system may pay for itself in less than eight years. The EPA estimates that geothermal systems use at least 72 percent less energy than standard heating and cooling systems.
- Longevity: The underground piping can last about 50 years with minimal maintenance, and the indoor components are estimated at 25 years.
- Economical comfort all year round: Because they don’t depend on the temperature of the air, they provide renewable heat all year without losing performance, even when the snow piles up.
- Quiet: A geothermal system typically runs so unobtrusively you won’t even notice it.
- Humidity control: Ground-source systems can effectively keep indoor humidity at the recommended 30 to 50 percent.
If you’re interested in learning more about renewable energy, call Paschal Air, Plumbing & Electric. We’ll be happy to get you on the road to greater efficiency.
Paschal Heating, Air & Geothermal services Northwest Arkansas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.