To avoid having to pay exorbitant heating costs as the temperatures keep dropping, you should make sure your home is prepared for the cold weather. There are some simple things you can do to minimize your heating costs this winter.
- Turn down the thermostat: For every degree you keep your thermostat turned down, you can save 3 percent on your heating expenses. Dressing warmer when home can help you stay cozy while saving money.
- Keep the fireplace damper closed: This will prevent air from constantly escaping, forcing your heating system to constantly replace it.
- Keep heating vents clear: Make sure your air registers aren’t blocked by things like furniture or curtains so that your warm air can get properly distributed throughout your home.
- Open curtains during the day: Take advantage of the heat that the sunlight brings in by keeping your curtains or shutters open during the day. Just be sure to close them at night for maximum insulation.
- Lock your windows: This will help form the tightest seal possible against the cold air outside.
- Seal your ductwork: You can lose up to 30 percent of the conditioned air your system creates before it ever reaches your registers due to faulty ducts. Seal them with materials like duct mastic that can be easily spread over holes and gaps to contain the air.
- Change your furnace filters regularly: If you allow your filters to get clogged with captured particles, your warm air won’t be able to flow through easily. This causes your furnace to be constantly overworked just to force the air through. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations on how often to replace them.
- Reverse your fans: Your ceiling fans have a reverse switch that will cause them to push warm air downwards into your living areas.
- Preventive maintenance: Having an HVAC professional inspect and clean all the components of your heating system is the most effective way to make sure you will minimize your heating costs this winter.
For more tips that will help lower your heating costs, contact Paschal Heating Air Conditioning and Geothermaltoday. We proudly serve northwest Arkansas.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heating costs and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Paschal Heating, Air & Geothermal services Northwest Arkansas. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!
Money Savings image via Shutterstock