We are taking the following precautions due to the COVID-19 virus. All of our technicians have masks, glasses, latex gloves and shoe booties if they have to enter your home. Our technicians also have hand sanitizer and disinfectants that they use after every call.
If we are there to do maintenance and we don’t have to come inside your home to get to the equipment, we are asking homeowners to adjust the thermostat for us so we can do the system maintenance without entering the home. We will not be shaking hands and will keep our distance from customers.
While you may not have much control over the quality of the air outdoors, you have a greater say on the indoor air quality of your house. To maximize the purity of the air in your home, it helps to recognize three major pollutants that plague everyday households – radon, mold, and CO (carbon monoxide).
What Are These Pollutants?
Radon is a colorless radioactive gas that decays from radium, which can be found in rocks and boulders below buildings. Radon is linked with thousands of cases of lung cancer each year. You can test for radon by purchasing a radon detection kit.
Mold refers to fungi that thrive in moist environments in your house. One common example is the notorious black mold. Although not fatal, the spores released are known to have allergenic properties and can cause complications in individuals with asthma. Mold can be detected by inspecting moist areas, such as laundry rooms and A/C units.
CO is a colorless, odorless gas that results from incomplete combustion of fossil fuels. CO competes with oxygen in your blood cells, resulting in less oxygen delivered to your body. Prolonged exposure can result in death. The best way to detect CO is by using a CO detector, which functions in a similar manner to a smoke detector.
How Can I Get Rid of These Pollutants?
Radon: The only way to get rid of radon pollution is through removing the source. The gas can be mitigated through increased ventilation and sealing concrete slab floors.
Mold: When you find mold in your house, the best way to abolish it is to use a cleaner such as bleach on the affected area. Be sure to wear a mask.
CO: Immediately locate the source. This could be a stove, fireplace, vehicle, etc. Turn off the source and ventilate the area. Any indoor equipment, ducts or venting that’s releasing CO into your house should be repaired or replaced.