We are taking the following precautions due to the COVID-19 virus. All of our technicians have masks, glasses, latex gloves and shoe booties if they have to enter your home. Our technicians also have hand sanitizer and disinfectants that they use after every call.
If we are there to do maintenance and we don’t have to come inside your home to get to the equipment, we are asking homeowners to adjust the thermostat for us so we can do the system maintenance without entering the home. We will not be shaking hands and will keep our distance from customers.
Why Do I Smell Gas? How to Tell if Gas is Leaking from Your Furnace.
More than 80 million Americans use natural gas to heat their homes, cook, and for other applications. Gas furnaces require natural gas to heat your home. If you have an older system or one that has not been properly maintained, then the possibility of a gas leak is very high. If you have a gas furnace, there’s always a possibility of a gas leak. Seals wear out over time, and equipment breaks down, and these leaks most commonly occur in gas valves or furnace cracks. Your service technician will check for cracks during your annual maintenance check, but it’s important you know what to do if you smell gas leaking from your furnace. While some issues may be small, a gas leak is not one of them.
If you suspect that you smell gas coming from your furnace, call us immediately at 479-259-1906.
Smell of Rotten Eggs
Fortunately, gas companies put mercaptan in gas, so you can smell it. This substance makes the gas smell like sulfur, or rotten eggs. This is usually a telltale sign that you have a gas leak in your home. Natural gas is odorless, so if you had a leak without this substance, you wouldn’t be able to smell it. While this is not a guaranteed sign that your furnace is causing the leak – it does mean there there is likely one within your home. Turning off your heater immediately is a smart move, as well as extinguishing any open flames. You may also want to shut off your gas lines to prevent them leaking any further. The next step would be to contact your local HVAC company or gas company.
Check Pilot Flame
The pilot light on a furnace should always be burning blue. If you notice the flames turning orange or yellow, it could be a sign that your unit is producing deadly carbon monoxide gas. If you notice this issue, immediately call your local HVAC or gas company.
Hissing Sounds Coming From Furnace
If you notice a hissing or strange sound coming from your furnace, this can be a sign that it is leaking gas. If you notice this issue, shut off your furnace and gas valve & immediately call your local HVAC or gas company.
Physical Symptoms You May Be Experiencing
When a gas leak in your home is left unattended, you may be at a very high risk of health issues and possible death. The most common symptoms that occur with gas or carbon monoxide exposure include:
Dizziness or feeling lightheaded
Drowsiness or increased fatigue
Flu-like symptoms, such as nausea and headaches
Ear, nose, and throat irritation
Mood changes, including depression
Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
What to Do if You Suspect a Gas Leak
A gas leak is a serious issue that can affect the health of your family, pets, and potentially put your property at risk. If you suspect there is a gas leak in your home you should follow these steps:
Evacuate: Immediately gather yourself, your pets, and your family and leave the house immediately. Be sure to leave all doors and windows open when leaving your home.
Call 911: Once you and your family have safely evacuated, and are at a safe distance from your home, immediately call 911 or your local gas or utility company, or call us at Paschal Air, Plumbing, & Electric.
Inspection: A certified & qualified inspector will come to your home to assess the problem. You may return when you have been notified that it is safe.
Carbon Monoxide Detection
It is worthwhile to invest in a quality carbon monoxide (CO) detector. This device measures the level of CO in your home, which is a deadly odorless, colorless gas produced from the burning of natural gas in your home. This is a natural process, and normally the carbon monoxide is released harmlessly into the atmosphere. You do not want carbon monoxide to remain within your home. If you have excess CO within your home, this device will emit a loud warning signal to notify you.